By Maria Sundström on 9/20/15 10:11 AM
The CRM market is growing rapidly and for organizations with more then a few sales people, it is almost impossible to imagine working without a CRM. The reasons behind the decision to get a CRM might vary, but from a sales perspective it often boils down to two issues: there is a need to gather all important customer and prospect data in one place and management has a need for visibility and accurate, real-time pipeline information.
Yet, most CRMs fail to fulfill these two basic needs of sales organizations. Why, one might ask. The reason is a very simple one: CRM systems do not contain the data needed to get a holistic view on the customer nor is the data accurate or even very often real-time for that matter. How come, might someone who has not worked in sales wonder. For sales people the answer is evident. Entering data is tedious and time-consuming, it just takes too much time. From the perspective of the salesrep the payoff is just not worth the effort.
Lack of time, lack of good routines and lack of motivation, a fairly simple problem, one might think, yet one that not many organizations have managed to crack.
Salespeople enter only 20% of all their sales activities
The initial demand, the reason behind the choice to buy a CRM system is seldom fulfilled, at least not up to the level it should be. According to several studies salespeople enter only 20% of all their sales activities, into the CRM-system. Twenty percent, one fifth of all their client conversations. Imagine that the company has no clue on the remaining 80% of these conversations. Again, salespeople have no trouble imagining what this lack might lead to: missed revenue opportunities, poor customer service, costly inefficiencies and overlaps just to name a few. But what most people don’t think of, is that also all sales analysis are lacking, as it is based on only 20% of all the client contacts. Not to mention, what happens if the rep resigns?
How to get salespeople to log 100%?
The first thing to do is make sure everyone understands the value of gathering all information in the same place. Make sure your salespeople understand that the CRM is a system that will help them sell more. Make sure especially your key players are aboard and encourage them to set the example. Use the system for sales analysis, pull out numbers and show them to the team. This will make them understand that it is important to keep the content in the CRM updated. Last but not least, make sure your sales team have access to the CRM at all times, especially from mobile devices. If you really want everything to go into the CRM you might need to connect CRM data entry to your reward-system. Will you reach 100%? No, probably not. You might be able to double the data entered, but that still means you are missing around 60% of client conversations.
How to really get to 100%
If you really want to be sure you have all sales activities in the CRM, then you cannot trust manual logging. Your salesreps will never remember to log everything. And neither should they. They should be focused on selling and not need to worry about logging every single call they make. In our opinion the only way to reach 100% is to automate the process, to log all calls, emails and meetings automatically. Luckily this is something you can do.
We have created a mobile app that automatically logs all client calls and –emails, based on the phone numbers and email addresses that can be found in the CRM. The app runs in the background of the phone and salespeople do not need to worry about logging the data themselves. In addition to this the app will encourage sales reps to add comments after an answered phone call or to create a task for the future. Salespeople also have the possibility to add notes from calls and meetings by speech-to-text, so they will not even need to type.
For those of you who are using landlines, check how your CRM provider can help you out.
They might already have a solution for this or might know about companies offering this type of possibility. For those of you using mobiles, look no further. Give us a call and try out Liid. We don’t bite so get in touch. :)
All salespeople know that brain-dead feeling one gets when entering data into CRM. Let them forget it. Our clients have.
Even more blogs on improving your business performance: